Comment and analysis of the match between Vietnam and Iraq
Five days after the victory over the Philippines in the opening match of the 2026 World Cup qualifiers in Asia, the Vietnamese team will enter their second match in Group F against opponent Iraq.
With the advantage of playing at My Dinh’s home field, coach Philippe Troussier’s team is expected to play sublimely and successfully conquer 3 points against representatives from the West Asian region.
|The match between Vietnam and Iraq will take place at 7:00 p.m. on November 21|
But this will definitely not be an easy match for the red shirt team because the opponent they are about to face is relatively formidable. Confrontation history does not support Mr. Troussier and his team as the Vietnamese team has lost 3 and drawn 1 out of 4 encounters with Iraq.
Therefore, if they can win 3 points in the next match, this will also be a historic victory for the Vietnamese Team against the team that won the Asian championship in 2007.
Before this competition, the Vietnamese team had a 2-0 victory in the Philippines. In the context that coach Troussier did not use the strongest squad, plus the whole team had to play on artificial turf, this victory was considered relatively impressive.
However, Iraq made an even stronger impression when they “destroyed” coach Shin Tae-young’s Indonesian team with a bold score of 5-1. With what was shown in this match, the Iraqi players showed off their speed, strength, technique as well as their ability to finish with great foot power.
Therefore, the Vietnamese team players will have to play very focused and maintain the team’s distance in this match. Because if they reveal too much space, they will likely have to receive an undesirable result against Iraq.
In the upcoming Vietnam and Iraq matches, the “Golden Star Warriors” will have the strongest competing force when they almost do not suffer any major losses against the Philippines. Even striker Nguyen Van Toan, who was injured in the match against the Philippines, has recovered.
Meanwhile, Iraq faces the risk of losing “conductor” Amjad Attwan due to not being able to recover in time from injury from the match against Indonesia. In addition, the force in the hands of coach Jesus Casas is not highly appreciated for its combat experience.
Except for defender Ali Adnan, no one in this training camp has more seniority in recruiting than Attwan. Plus having to be a guest in front of tens of thousands of fans at My Dinh Stadium, the away team players can be completely overwhelmed when competing.
More than ever, the Vietnamese team will have to make good use of the opportunity against Iraq. If they overcome the football team nicknamed “The Lion of Mesopotamia” at My Dinh Stadium, Mr. Troussier and his team will have many advantages in the race to continue with their opponents in Group F.
Information before the Vietnam and Iraq matches
– The Vietnamese team has never won against Iraq in history. In the previous 4 matches, we lost 3 and drew 1.
– Vietnam won 5, drew 1, lost 4 in the last 10 matches. Iraq won 7, drew 1 and lost 2 in the last 10 matches.
– Since the 0-1 loss to Oman in the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, the Vietnamese team has been undefeated when playing at home with a record of 11 wins and 1 draw.
– Iraq only won 4, while drawing 6 and losing 5 in the last 15 away trips.
Information on the two teams’ forces
– The Vietnamese team has the strongest force.
– Iraq is at risk of losing Amjad Attwan due to injury.
Confrontation between Vietnam and Iraq
– Vietnam: Van Lam, Van Thanh, Viet Anh, Ngoc Hai, Tuan Tai, Minh Trong, Dinh Bac, Hung Dung, Hoang Duc, Tuan Hai, Tien Linh.
– Iraq: Hachim, Ali Ali, Sulaka, Ali Adnan, Merchas Doski, Osama Rashid, Amir Al Ammari, Ibraheem Bayesh, Jassim, Bashar Resan, Aymen Husein.
Predicted score between Vietnam and Iraq: 1-1.